Programme – This event is held in English and French with simultaneous translation
Saturday, July 1st – Sunday, July 2nd
Venue: Université Catholique de Louvain – Agora, Auditoire 12 – Place Agora 19 – 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
12.00 – 14.00 -> Registration (room dispatch, badging, presentation of the place and programme…)
14.00 – 14.45 -> Opening session (plenary)
- Welcome speech: Cédric du Monceau (BE), Alderman City of Ottignies
- Best wishes of success to #CitizensRoute73, video by Brando Benifei (MEP, IT)
- Opening: Why Route73 “Horizon 2019 European Election” – Domenico Rossetti di Valdalbero (IT), Secretary General of the Union of European Federalists Belgium
- Introductory speech by Marie-Hélène Caillol, President Franck Biancheri Network & co-founder of iCAN – Team and partners presentation.
- A memorial moment, with Matthieu Widart at the cello
Moderator: Georgeta Grama-Moldovan (RO)
14.45 – 16.45 -> Political panel: « Changing Europe, yes! But what for? » (plenary)
Mariapaola Cherchi (IT/BE) for a federal Europe of the citizens – Reka Salamon (HU) for a future-oriented Europe, Pierre Larrouturou (FR) for a social Europe – Erik Edman (GR/SU) for a Democracy in Europe 2025 – Adrian Taylor (UK/DE) for a New Paradigm – Filipe Santos Henriques (PT/DE) for a sustainable Europe
Our debators will take part in an exercice of political debate like in our national democracies in which they will confront their points of view and try to provide answers to questions that matter to Europeans.
» First Citizen intermission: Citizens’ remarks on the differences between making politics at national level and making politics at European level
» Seven burning issues:
- Euro crisis: Exiting, reforming or democratically governing the euro ?
- Economy : Based on which economic model can Europe bounce back
- Taxation: What common taxation can best serve shared prosperity in Europe?
- Environment : How can Europe become a global leader in « sustainable economic model and techniques » again?
- Frontiers : Europe up to where ? And what kind of limits?
- Foreign relations: How can Europe become a global player in a world at peace again?
- Political innovation: What type of democracy for a 21st century Europe ?
» Second Citizen intermission: speed-voting on the debators’ 18 most important proposals
» “Carte blanche” and concluding remarks
Moderator: Jo Sullivan (IR/UK)
16.45 – 17.00 -> Break
17.00 – 18.30 -> Intellectuals and activists Panel: « Changing Europe, yes! But how? » (plenary)
- Introduction: Marie-Hélène Caillol (FR), FBNetwork, iCAN
Guillaume Sacriste (FR), Armel Prieur (FR), Bjarni Snæbjörnn Jónsson (IS), Jean-Claude Garot (BE), Richard Laub (BE), Julia Moniri (DE), Karim Elkholi (FR), Matteo Guidi (IT), Antonis Triantafyllakis (GR), Philippe Micaelli (FR)
Our panelists will exchange on the tools required to create the conditions of emergence of a common European public debate, namely:
17h00 – 17h45 – Discussing:
- The Eurozone as the launchpad of a democratic Europe, Guillaume Sacriste (FR), Pour un Traité de démocratisation de l’Europe
- Creating the conditions of emergence of a large-scale debate prone to training to European citizenship Armel Prieur (FR), Processus Instituant Citoyen pour l’Europe
- Establishing participatory decision-making mechanisms, Bjarni Snæbjörnn Jónsson (IS), Processus Délibératif Constituant
- Modus operandi of monothematic political action at European level – the anti-CETA campaign, Jean-Claude Garot (BE), STOP CETA campaign
17h45 – 18h30 – Get organised:
- Inventing actions of citizen mobilisation, Richard Laub (BE), Stand Up for Europe
- Combining European cultural happenings and political dimension, Karim Elkholi (FR) Erasmus Students Festival
- Filling the European level’s media vacuum, Matteo Guidi (IT) Eyes on Europe
- Lauching the 1st online trans-European electoral experience halfway to 2019, Antonis Triantafyllakis (GR), « Elect George »
- Setting up the online tools to connect European citizens together, Philippe Micaelli (FR), Le Comité
Moderator: Anna Gumbau (ES)
18.30 – 20.30 -> iCAN European night
A festive moment for interconnecting participants and organisations, including:
- Eur’Apero : European “aperitif” with specialities you bring!
- Market Place of Ideas : Who is doing what? A fair where all those who are part of a European initiative can present their activities;
- Speakers’ corner: Tell your thought and be filmed!
Coordinated by Camille Dufresne (DE), iCAN network
20.30 – 00.00 -> Dinner “Food Truck Festival” and more, dancing etc …
Download programme pdf-file here: Programme provisional R73 – EN-23062017