As part of the launch of the #CitizensRoute73 the participants worked on Sunday 2 July in two categories of workshops: 1) the proposals of programmes that could be presented as part of a trans-European campaign for the 2019 European election; 2) the tools and methods necessary to allow the emergence of a real trans-European political debate over the next two years. The workshop “For a federal Europe of the citizens” a workshop led by Yves Gernigon, European Federalist Party, and Bàlint Gyévai, Stand Up for Europe, in the perspective for a real federalist programme for 2019, with a 100% European approach and a common drafting (The Citizens’ Convention).
Proceedings of the workshop “For a federal Europe of the citizens”
Sunday, July 2, 2017 (Louvain-la-Neuve) – Yves Gernigon, European Federalist Party, and Bàlint Gyévai, Stand Up for Europe
According to Hamilton, USA: the society has the possibility to get organised at several levels. At federal level: budget, defense, diplomacy, management of external borders. Manifesto of Ventotene (Spinelli Institute). Before the war. Immediately after, little steps, Jean Monnet. European Movement, Hague Congress 1948 (Churchill), Europe of Experts. Monnet anti-parliamentarism, strong high authority.
UEF preferred channels amongst decision makers / institution lobbying.
Today for the EFP: 5000 signatures in Belgium, 1 million in France (campaign expenses)
- Keep the rhetoric “national identities”: respect the local identities and prides by working to create a nation, a European feeling
- Avoid the term federalist, as much as possible
- Talk about difficult topics and offer answers: refugees, posted workers
– Project / Content:
- Clarify the federalist remarks with a 100% European approach and a common drafting (The Citizens’ Convention)
- External borders in question, we can not predict future developments
- Hard core and Europe of concentric circles as a future perspective
- Federate all federalists to provide them with a greater weight
- A European federalist party, preferably with a list and common programmes between federalists
- Party structure: trans-European
- Get organised into local networks and step out of the European bubble by going to people who do not feel concerned
- More festive and funny activities that allow you to play Europe on a daily basis
- Inform, debate and raise awareness around the European debate and the federalist project
Working group: Mails were received, in order to continue reflection
Bàlint Gyévai (Stand Up for Europe), rapporteur
! For those registered on our lists you can find this program proposal under discussion on our platform loomio #CitizensRoute73 !